What Makes Quartz Countertops Unique?

This entry was posted in Blog and tagged on by .

In recent years, quartz countertops have become a popular selection for homeowners and business owners alike. Its elegance, durability, and beauty are some of the reasons why it’s earned an outstanding reputation among other high-end surface materials.

Keep reading to learn more about this luxurious mineral.

Information on Quartz

Quartz is a chemical compound consisting of one part silicon and two parts oxygen. It’s the most abundant mineral found on Earth’s surface. Additionally, it has a hardness of 7/10 on the Mohs Scale, which compares the resistances of different minerals. One of the main benefits of quartz is that it’s malleable at any temperature, making it resistant to chemical and mechanical weathering. Furthermore, this mineral is scratch-resistant.

Since quartz is durable and resistant to abrasions, it makes the perfect countertop surface for your kitchen and bathroom. Explore other reasons why this material is special in today’s blog.

Quartz Countertops Are Engineered to Last

Quartz countertops are also called engineered stone counters because they’re made of 93% quartz and a mixture of other stones. The other 7% is made of binders that are either plastic-like (polymeric) or cement-based.

We’ve established quartz is strong, but the reason why engineers mix it with other materials is because enhanced strength is required for the heavy demands of cooking. Furthermore, almost every other type of countertop is mixed with different stones and binders because this makes them last for decades.

Some manufacturers even add antibacterial substances, such as Microban, to their mixes. These compounds can protect your family from bacteria and make it easier for you to clean your surfaces. Furthermore, these antibacterial properties make it difficult for mold and mildew to grow on your surfaces.

Quartz Countertops Are Hard to Chip

Finding a chip in your countertops can be upsetting, especially when you consider the time and money you spent on selecting and installing them. Fortunately, when you upgrade to quartz countertops, you might not have to worry about chipping again.

We’re not saying quartz is indestructible, but compared to rivaling materials, it takes a lot more than a simple knife scratch to chip it. You would have to take a hammer to your countertops to crack it (which we’re not condoning).

In the unfortunate event your quartz countertops do chip, you won’t have much to worry about because they’re generally repairable. Factors depend on the size and scope of the chip or damage.

Quartz Countertops Are Tough to Stain

Quartz countertops are non-porous, making them resistant to staining. They can endure oil, coffee, juice, and other common kitchen spills; if you’re a parent to active toddlers, this will go far with you. Spills will sit on top of the surface instead of soaking in, and all you’ll need to do is use soap and a sponge to wipe them off. Best of all, you won’t have to worry about sealing your surfaces every year.

Renovating? Contact Intermountain Stone & Marble

Quartz countertops are the finishing touch your home needs for an eye-catching, complete design. At Intermountain Stone & Marble, we guarantee you won’t need to spend more than your budget allows to get the classy surfaces you’re looking for. We service the Salt Lake County area. Get in touch with us today for a free estimate.