6 Things You May Not Know About Quartz

Quartz products are taking the spotlight in all the most stylish homes, and you may be feeling left out if you don’t have any quartz to show off in your home.

You’ve probably heard a multitude of wonderful comments about quartz that have piqued your interest in the igneous rock, and we don’t blame you.

Quartz is easily one of the best countertop options for your home because of the multitude of colors it’s available in, its patterns, durability, hygiene, and its sustainable origins and manufacturing processes.

Thinking about decorating your abode with quartz? Here are six facts that you may not know about quartz. 

1. Quartz Is Not a Natural Stone Countertop

Don’t panic! This isn’t a bad thing, it’s actually a positive for your home. These countertops are made using pieces of quartz that are held together using non-porous resin. For this reason, quartz is considered a manufactured countertop, which is beneficial to your home because quartz can be molded into unique shapes. You can create eye-catching curves and dimensions without all those unsightly cuts and seams.

2. Quartz Is Comprised of Natural Minerals

Although quartz is not considered a natural stone product, almost the entirety of a quartz countertop is comprised of natural minerals. In fact, the average slab of quartz contains 97% minerals. The remaining 3% of quartz slab is resin, which holds the slab together.

3. Quartz Is One of the Most Abundant Minerals

Here’s where the sustainability factor of quartz comes into play. Unlike other countertop materials, quartz is not mined, nor is it only available infinite amounts. Quartz is the second most abundant mineral found in the earth’s crust, so it is nearly impossible for quartz to be extracted in noticeable amounts.

4. Quartz Is Low-Maintenance

Quartz is one of the toughest minerals, making it resistant to cracking, chipping, and breaking. Since resin is non-porous, quartz never needs to be sealed, thus making it impervious to staining and etching. Bacteria, grime, mold, and mildew don’t stand a chance against quartz.

5. Quartz Is Made in the USA

Almost all other countertop products that rival quartz are mined and fabricated in other countries, then shipped to the vendor after weeks of waiting. Fossil fuel resources and overhead shipping costs are a thing of the past when you select quartz.

6. Quartz Is Evolving

Years ago, quartz was wrongfully criticized (we know, it’s hard to believe). People cynical of quartz claimed that quartz was lackluster and that it lacked interesting designs. Present-day, quartz can be embossed, or even sandblasted. These strides in the quartz industry now make quartz a top contender for bathroom and kitchen projects. 

Ready to give your home a facelift? If you’re a resident of Salt Lake County, contact our friendly experts at Intermountain Stone and Marble for a free estimate. We offer hundreds of countertop options, which includes quartz. You can’t go wrong with our expansive selection of countertops. 

Our Services

Recent Posts